Weekend Links: Martini Your Way Through Your Dissertation, Don’t Sweat Your Inbox, and Turn Off the InternetJanuary 19th, 2008 · One comment
Interesting links from around the web to help you through your weekend Study Hacks withdrawal…
A Backlog of Burnished Bits of Advice Bombs
- How to Complete your PhD (or any large project): Hard and Soft Deadlines, the Martini Method | Academic Productivity
Shane over at Academic Productivity describes the system he used to finish his PhD. If it worked for his dissertation, imagine what it would do for your next term paper?
- What’s Stopping You From Getting Started (and What to Do About It) | LifeHack
This article over at LifeHack is surprisingly perceptive. Dustin really gets to the core of what stops many of us from getting started on projects we know would be important. Most insightful: (1) lack of confidence in plan; and (2) too much on your plate. Good guide to help you diagnosis your own stasis.
- GTD and Inbox Zero | ProtoScholar
Speaking of perceptive, Rebecca over at ProtoScholar provides some honest (and hauntingly familiar) reasons why achieving an empty inbox is so difficult. Fascinating stuff for all you reformed productivity junkies out there…
- What Do You Want To Do With Your Life? | Scott Young
A thought-provoking article from the Scott Young’s archives. He attempts to deconstruct the idea of passion, and, in doing so, provides some nice insight into what we value.
- The 12 Days of Hack College Christmas | Hack College
The crew over at Hack College spent their Christmas vacation putting together a 12-part series on useful techno tips and tricks for students.
- Improve Your Productivity in One Step — Go Offline | The Student Help Forum
A simply observation, but one that should be hammered into student’s heads again and again. Don’t go online while trying to work! Here, Saad Padela makes a good pitch for the idea.
- Me, Me, Me: Find Your Voice and Make it Shout | Mindul Ink
Martin, our friend from the University Blog, has a good guest post on Mindful Ink about looking to yourself to figure out the best way to run your life.
- Helicopter Parents Need to Fly Away | The University Blog
A post about the (purported) problem of helicopter parents in academia and beyond. Bonus content: note the back and forth discussion between Martin and me in the comments section.