Our Commitment to Web Accessibility
Cal Newport is committed to providing a fully accessible website experience for all users of all abilities, including those who rely on assistive technologies like screen readers, screen enlargement software, and alternative keyboard input devices to navigate the web.
Ongoing Efforts to Ensure Accessibility
We follow the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) version 2.1 as our guiding principle for determining accessibility. These are internationally agreed-upon standards that cover a wide range of recommendations and best practices for making content useable. As we add new pages and functionality to our website, all designs, code, and content entry practices are checked against these standards.
Website accessibility is an ongoing process. We continually test content and features for WCAG 2.1 Level AA compliance and remediate any issues to ensure we meet or exceed the standards. Testing of our website is performed by our team members using industry-standard tools such as the Accessibility Checker WordPress Plugin, color contrast analyzers, keyboard-only navigation techniques, and Flesch-Kincaid readability tests.
Accessibility Features On Our Website
The following is a list of items we have included in our website to improve its accessibility:
- Our website design has a mobile-responsive version with appropriately sized tap-targets.
- Our brand colors were intentionally selected for color contrast and meet AAA requirements, even for small text.
- Our website declares a language in the header.
- A warning is provided before links open in a new tab or window.
Where We’re Improving
In our efforts to bring our website up to standard, we are targeting the following areas:
- Structural markup to indicate expected section containers, headings, lists, and buttons to make our content more understandable and “skim-able” by all users, regardless of device.
- Alternative text associated with all images and other non-text elements.
- Adding Accessible Rich Internet Applications (ARIA) screen-reader only text when links, buttons, icons, or images require additional context to understand their meaning.
This is part of our broader effort to make everyone’s experience at Cal Newport a welcoming and enjoyable one. Please note that while we make every effort to provide information accessible for all users, we cannot guarantee the accessibility of third party websites to which we may link.
Accessibility Support Contact
We welcome comments, questions, and feedback on our website. If you are using assistive technologies and are having difficulty using our website, please email [email protected]. We will do our best to assist you and resolve issues.